Postage for Pakistan and other parts of the planet

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Where to fix the compass

A good priest I know from the Diocese of La Crosse, Fr. Joseph Hirsch recently wrote the following in the diocesan newspaper for the Feast of St. John the Baptist (all the way back in June). I wish I could remember this every day as my days would be much better. Check it out and see if you don't agree:

In your vocation in life, there will be many things that will take you away in many different directions. Stay close to the Lord, because He alone really knows the purpose that he has for you. 

Oh, I have my preferences, but my preferences are so puny and my comfort zone is so little.  What God wants to do for you is so much bigger, but it’s risky and it will involve great trust.

Therefore, if you are to follow John the Baptist, follow Isaiah, follow David, follow all the other people, the saints of the Old and New Testament, don’t ask God to simply do what fits your preference, but say, "God, what is my greatness, for I’m fearfully yet wonderfully made?  What do you want me to do?” 

On that adventure, He will lead you in a way that will not just impact your life, but many others: and that is His story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When commenting, be charitable, be kind, be loving. Say nothing you would not say to Jesus himself.