Postage for Pakistan and other parts of the planet

Sunday, April 17, 2011

How many out there are like this priest once was?

Every day on the job, I speak with Catholic religious educators. So often I hear them say things like what this priest describes:

One day - I remember it so clearly – we were sitting in his office, shooting the breeze. At one point, I said, “well, you know, Father, the Eucharist is just a symbol”. “What?”, he said, with a look of total shock. Now, this was a man who completely believed in the Eucharist – that the bread and wine truly become the Body and Blood of Christ at Mass. “It’s a symbol?”, I said shakily. Then, he said something that changed my life: “Greg, this is my body means this is my body”.

After 21 years of going to Church every Sunday and after 12 plus years of Catholic education, this was the first time I really ever heard the teaching about the Eucharist.
When is this sort of thing going to change? What will it take to change? And how many souls will be lost in the meantime? There are many good things going on in the Church vis-a-vis religious education, granted. Generally speaking, it is much better than it was when I was a kid. My most vivid memory of my First Communion preparation was making felt banners. As far as the above goes, I was no different than Fr. Greg. But our experience should be the exception, not the rule. So I ask again:

When will our kids start to get good catechesis? What will it take to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment

When commenting, be charitable, be kind, be loving. Say nothing you would not say to Jesus himself.