Postage for Pakistan and other parts of the planet

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saint(s) of the Day for April 1, 2012

This is no foolin': Today, Sunday, April 1, is the feast of St. Valéry, OSB, who actually was a man. Don't know when it became a girl's name, but there you have it.

Today is also the feast of St. Macarius the Wonder-Worker. He was an abbot of a monastery on an obscure island in the Black Sea off the coast of Bithynia, which is now part of northern Turkey. Given his death on August 18, c. 830, he is one of those rare saints whose feast occurs on a date different than their dies natalis (Latin for "day of birth," that is, birth into eternal life). He wrote an amazingly beautiful prayer. See if you agree.
To you, O Master, who loves all mankind, I hasten on rising from sleep. By your mercy I go out to do your work, and I make my prayer to you. Deliver me from every evil thing of this world and from pursuit by the devil. Save me and bring me to your eternal kingdom, for you are my Creator. You inspire all good thoughts in me. In you is all my hope and to you I give glory, now and forever.
Isn't that great? Why not share it with someone? Maybe someone you know needs some hope, and maybe this would be a great way to give some to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When commenting, be charitable, be kind, be loving. Say nothing you would not say to Jesus himself.